Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The DarkHorse "Thirty"


Stewart State Forest is basically a giant Swamp surrounding an airport in Southern NY. The best thing I can say is at least it is not in the mountains. Right from the gun I could not control my HR. Nerves, heat, humidity, lack of fitness, the up and down course, were all factors. I survived lap one or rush hour as it more resembled. Lots of hike a bike and some slippery trails but made it back into the feed zone in one piece. Thanks to my crew chief for the fresh bottle and kick in the pants. Off I go to lap two. Did I mention it is closing on on 90++ degrees at this point?

Nice crash midway through lap two, but bike and body seem to be in working order so we keep going. End of lap two I am exhausted. Three hours on the bike, cannot physically drink and eat enough to combat the heat. I tell the crew I want to stop and I get an earful, fresh bottles and a push. Off we go on lap 3 of a scheduled 4. Did I mention the heat and humidity yet??? Hard to train for 95 degree race. I feel like I am peddling in sand...check the tires, no flats...just running out of gas. Get myself to the "secret" feed zone at mile twenty-eight, sit in a chair and consume the coldest PBR ever. Seemed like a good idea at the time, plus I knew I was not going to make the 4th lap. Got even rougher after that pit stop but made it back in. UNCLE!!! Quick snap at the crew who had every intention of sending me back out. Throw the bike into the weeds, and throw Jason under the hoses (water truck hose to cool outside, Harpoon IPA hose to cool inside).

Thanks to Grace, Joc, Mom and Monte for the support. I hated to DNF but just could not do another lap at a fast enough pace to keep from getting hurt. Not to make excuses (but I will) only about 50% of the starters finished the race. Great Race, Great People, Great Times, will be back and better prepared for all FORTY MILES in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment