Monday, August 31, 2009

"I hear they got some tasty burgers"


It's been two weeks since my somewhat abbreviated affair in Orange County. Things have settled down a little so it's time to put the next big goal on the calendar. Of course my goal is a return to BFE NY to defeat the 2010 DH40, but need a little carrot in the middle. Or as an old Mentor likes to say "BHAG" (Big hairy audacious goal). Once you put something in writing especially on the World Wide Web then you have to meet it, right? Yea I know no one reads this, but it is out there.

So here is my next BHAG: COMPLETE THE 2010 MOHICAN 100 (KM that is, I'm not naive enough to think I can do 100 miles, but I think I can work up to 60 in the next 10 months).

OK now that it's out there I needed someone to train with. Well it took about 30 seconds to convince Nick. Next step? Better get out to Mohican SF and start working some climbs. Training goal is to get around the 25 mile loop two times by the beginning of May. My logic says that if I can get around the 50 miles of tough climbing then I will be able to do the race course which includes one lap of this course, some other hills and some rail trail and flats.

Went out yesterday and let that course beat the hell out of us. By the end my quads were absolute jell-o, but I felt much better than I did when we went out there a month or so ago. At least I could pedal to the parking lot this time. Just got to keep training and hope to get up there a couple more times this year.

Oh yea, speaking of carrots, we now have a carrot of sorts to keep us riding Mohican. I would like to introduce everyone to Lumpy's Five Point's Drive Inn in some small town on Rt 97. TWO THUMBS UP!!! Stopped on the way home for good ole fashioned dairy bar food. Foot long coney dog was a little over cooked, but the coney sauce and perfectly steamed bun made up for it. Not to mention it comes standard with my favorite Hot Dog toppings, Sauce, Mustard and Onion. Nothing less and nothing more. I watched in awe as Nick destroyed a brownie sundae before our food came out. Then was thoroughly intrigued when his burger was so good he ordered a second one to go! Glad he got one for me as well...
"Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty burger"

No comments:

Post a Comment