Monday, August 10, 2009

That's all I can Stands, and I can't stands no more!"


My questions for Popeye are these a) does spinach stop calf cramps? b)does spinach soothe the Nethers?

My training for the Dark Horse seems to be as complete as it is going to get. Last Friday Nick decided he was going to ride home to Toledo for his HS reunion. Being the ever accommodating training pal, I says "I'll go partway with you". In reality I have never been on a bike for five hours so this was a perfect opportunity to answer some questions, test my race day nutrition plan and see how my body responds.

STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH...did i mention I forgot to Stretch first?

Rode with Nick to the 40 mile mark and turned for home. (Only excitement was a detour and a funeral procession filled with Model T's and Harley's. and one requisite Hillbilly that had to blow past the whole crew.) So I really felt great at the halfway point, but I could feel a pang coming on in my calves. Stopped for fluids and caffeine at the 58 mile mark, short rest to stretch and off I went. I fought off the cramps for about 15 more miles. Then as I would stretch my calves, my quads would cramp...vicious circle of pain and suffering for the last 5 miles. Locked up once and was powerless to move, but made it to the shoulder. Man did I want to be off that damn bike. Got home laid on the floor and literally could not move for a little while. But shower, hot tub, Mexican Feast and I felt good by bedtime. Saturday felt great except for well you know...I just did not get on a bike seat that day. Think I can fight the cramps with some better (or some) stretching everyday this week.

Sunday was the final training push so I loaded up Stevie and went over to Alum by ourselves. Waited until 3:00 and 90++ degrees so we could get the full effect of the training. Rode for 2:45, hardest part was battling the heat and humidity since it has been such a mild summer. Aside from some never before developed blisters (may need a dry pair of gloves or two for the race) and the aforementioned issues from Friday I seem to be as ready as I'll ever be. I had plenty of fluids but I was craving a COLD drink for the last half hour. That jug in the cooler did not stand a chance. Quick bath in the spigot, exhausted and off dinner at G-Marie's. Could not wait for the AC, I get there and 5 perfectly capable adults were waiting on the sofas for me to Grill the chicken. Yea, never was good at hiding my emotions...

1 comment:

  1. Endurolytes, freeze some bottles the night before, and cold showers...Oh yeah--CHAMOIS CREAM!!

    ReplyDelete